Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rebecca Guzzo




Rebecca Guzzo 
God's Harp
2015
Wood, Eye-hook, Thread
18 1/2" x 18 1/2" x 3 1/2" 

I originally started with the idea of a loom and wrapping string over and over again around the wood to create a spectrum. While I was wrapping it I stopped seeing a loom and started to see a harp-like structure instead. Much of my work is born from my own fantastical/colorful recreations of objects that exist in the world and nature. Thus I morphed my original idea into a new, more conceptual creation of God's Harp. The name came from the hypercriticism I find in many followers of Catholicism. Growing up Catholic I've witnessed it first hand and have recently disaffiliated myself due to their lack of respect and acceptance of the LGBT community. Having many gay friends myself and many of them being Catholic I believe that if there is a God he is and has always been accepting of all, regardless of whom they love.


No comments: