Monday, December 14, 2015

Emily Arnot




Emily Arnot
Sanctuary In Plain Sight
Fall 2015
Installation, wood, wire, plastic
84" x 78" x 72"

In the final installation of my garden, I moved my pieces outside and used the bushes by the outside of the entrance to studio arts. What started as a way to explore the idea of containment, developed into exploring the space and what being in there did to me. It became a strange experience, as people would walk by me and not even notice. Even with the giant wooden structure, passerby's didn't even think to glance over to the space. I began thinking of this idea of containment more as a space of comfort, and added a blanket as a place to get close to the pond and get comfortable in the space. I wanted to intimidating wooden arbor to act as a barrier of the space to the outside, while still allowing a person in the space to observe those who walk by. 



No comments: