Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Ali Ruffner















"Indentations"
Ali Ruffner
2015
Casted plastic
12" x 84" x 7"

was changing out of gym clothes when he asked me if the red mark from the elastic across my waist hurt.  I said I don't know, no, it doesn't hurt...I don't think it hurts...most of my clothes leave marks like that...maybe all of my clothes...I've never really noticed...don't everyone's clothes hurt? Aren't clothes suppose to hurt? 

In an attempt to quote the binding indentations left on women's skin from the apparel they wear, I derived a process that instead fossilized some of these indentations. This clothing hurts, binds, and imprints our skin, leaving temporary marks even after it is removed. These solid fossilizations, casted from liquid plastic, are meant to initiate thoughts about the marks on our own skin.



No comments: