Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Brenna Smith






Brenna Smith
burning my dirty laundry
2015
Paper, Fabric, Ink, String, Clothespins, Thumbtacks
12' by 10'

This piece is based off of my interests in book making and binding combined with my personal feelings and memories. 

I took several different approaches in both binding and destroying various self-bound books, such as tearing, soaking, and burning. I draped golden wire across the wall over which I hung the books, thumbtacks to keep the wire in place and evoke a "candid" nature, and old wooden clothespins to attach the books to the wire and to play on the concept of "airing your dirty laundry."

I try to keep a personal connection with my work, so each book that I bound contained my personal experiences and memories regarding my struggle with depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses, as well as illustrations based on my struggle with self-harm, which I had formerly used as an outlet from these issues. 

My goal by destroying these books and displaying them in the open was to invite others into this personal space of mine and the internal conflicts I have, as well as create an understanding between myself and other viewers who may have similar experiences and are looking for support.

No comments: