Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Danielle Race






Where Sand and Sea Collide
Sand
12 feet in diameter

I am very influenced by nature and natural elements around me. Growing up in New Hampshire and Maine I was surrounded by woods, mountains, geology, and the ocean. I am very influenced by colors found in nature and natural landforms. Nature is inspiring and interesting and lead me to make a large ripple made of sand. The sand that I chose to work with is of many varieties. The bottom layer is a grainy yellow sand that was store bought. The middle layer is a fine grained yellow sand. And the top layer is pure grey sand from the coast of New Hampshire. I wanted to use sand that came from my hometown because it was important to me to use natural beach sand because of the texture, smell, and sense of home I get when I touch it.  In total, there was approximately 2,000 pounds of sand imported to the site, 400 of it from New Hampshire. My intention with this piece was to create a peaceful, tactile, ever flowing ripple effect using a simple element of our world.  As humans we manipulate our surroundings, but in the end, nature controls all and will take it back. Rocks to sand, sand to ripple, ripple to calm.




No comments: