Saturday, May 19, 2012

Anna Chandler




Aren't I the Garden?
Steel, White cement

When I was brainstorming art in the garden, I knew I wanted to put myself into the piece. I grew up tending my father’s giant garden every summer and have always had a green thumb.  It frustrates me that we negatively interact with our environment, so given this chance, I decided to do something positive.  Aren’t I the Garden brings me closer to becoming one with nature as we all will become. The steel tree is made up of about 70 ten-foot round rods that branch off with cement casts of my hands, some of which hold snapdragon flowers. To make the hands I used skinwax to create castings of my hands and filled them with cement. Both steel and cement are used in buildings, which smother nature. I hope this piece will remind us of the beauty in the natural world that some of us have forgotten and destroyed.

No comments: