Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Brenna Bochow






Brenna Bochow
"Bubbleman Farm"
2020
Wax, fiberglass, tent, orzo, acrylic paint, rope 
12' x 6' x 6'

This installation piece was inspired by an insect I encountered on my study abroad trip to Tanzania. The insect in question, known as the Nairobi Fly, releases a toxin when crushed on the skin that causes blisters. Thus given the nickname "blister beetle". However, the students on this trip referred to the bug as "The Bubbleman", and I personally had one of the worst wounds on the trip. I created a plaster mold of my friend's back and used melted wax to craft a replica of her back so I could recreate my own bubbleman blisters. The surrounding tent represents the fear of being with the insects in an enclosed environment, making their toxins impossible to avoid. 

No comments: