Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Jules Jones











The Fervent and Incredible Preservation of 
the Good 'Ole Days

2018

10'x8'x7'
Family Bible, Sewing Machine, Toy Rifle, Naked Barbie, Football Helmet & Shoulder Pads, Antlers, Life Vests, Pillow, Stocking

Inspired by objects found at my home, this piece became a representation of the surrounding area in which I grew up, as well as the rural south as a whole. I chose and manipulated objects that I believed addressed the current political uprising and preservation of outdated ideals and culture. Where I grew up there are confederate flags still down my road, and this country rural lifestyle is something I have been steeped in. Being away from it I can look back and see how problematic and systemic the culture is to the progress of oppressed peoples. Further, I wanted to create a work that embodied my fears of the upcoming election, where I anticipate the Good Old Party will float on the "blue wave", bibles and guns clutched in hand.

No comments: