Wednesday, October 31, 2018

John Halligan





What If

2018

2'6"x1'6

wood, paint


For my second piece, i wanted to continue my exploration in carving wood. Unlike my previous carvings i forced myself to only work from a solid block of wood and log to make the hands, which was a fun challenge. I also really expanded my knowledge on types of wood and really worked on getting things perfect. I still need more practice. But my idea behind this 3 dimensional portrait was a thought really relevant to my life at this time. The thought of missing out on an opportunity or moment and just sitting their and thinking about that moment and what could of been if you actually had done something about it. The lower hand represents the moment, the upper hand represents me reaching out for that, but never being able to  actually touch that moment because i let it go by when i could of actually touched it. As human beings we all have moments like this, of things we regret and wished we did differently or could just go back and do at all in the first place if you never acted on it in the first place. I don't want to let moments just pass by and then later down the road just sit there and think about it because their is nothing i can physically do at that point. Its unreachable at that point, and id rather know at least i didn't miss out whether if it worked out for me or not, it would at least not be left at what if and I can sleep much better at night with that thought.






No comments: