Thursday, December 3, 2020

Esther Lee

 














My Story

2020

Muslin, Mulberry paper, book pages, ink, thread, wood

7'x9'x2.5'


With a touch of Korean history and my own history, I created a sculptural scroll that cascades into the space. I cut up pages of a Korean book and pasted it onto the mulberry paper like wallpaper. I wanted the Korean texts to represent the literary story of all the moments on the scroll. A lot of my previous work had been inspired by nature and my Korean background so I had the idea of incorporating it within my work with ink and paper to create my journey as an artist since coming back from Nepal. For clarification, the butterflies were a piece from "Attraction", houses were a part of multiple sculptures and the girl, representing me in this piece who was originally "The Dancing Girl and Her Hair". Like many of my other sculptures I wanted this piece to come out into the space, however I wanted it to be different from how I did it before, and I was satisfied with how I displayed it.

No comments: