Monday, March 30, 2020

Michaela O'Connor




Michaela O'Connor
I Never Meant to Hurt Anyone
2020
steel, towels, chair, syringes, water pump, tubing
6' x 6'5" x 2'5"

Writing as been a part of my sculptural work since last semester. This project was, for me, a step toward imagining an environment for my word-covered sculptures to live in. I am interested in how surroundings impact the tone of the steel strips and the writing on their skin. A copious amount of everyday objects were used to emphasis the loneliness of the singular chair. This piece represents a part of my life that had gotten out of hand. I felt possessed to bring this piece into the physical world, because it is symbolic of me reflecting on the past and beginning to change my habits. What set "I Never Meant to Hurt Anyone" apart from my previous sculptures is its performative aspect. A water pump and 6 ft of tubing were used as the 'cause' and the erasure of marker from the spray-painted steel was the 'effect'. As the pump was initiated, the each washable marker letters melted away and left only a faded reminder of themselves. Unscathed by the force of water, a remaining message read, "I never meant to hurt anyone."

No comments: