Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Strangulation


I have been working with poured latex house paint in my sculptural pieces for a year now. The way the paint colors interact with each other and the patterns formed when spray paint is introduced to the wet latex has become an obsession of mine. In this piece, I wanted to create an environment to be inside of rather than an object to look at. I had the idea to enclose the viewer in sections of paint in order to create a very personal space. Knowing I would show this piece in the garden, I wanted to hang it under a tree which had the same qualities of an enclosed personal space as this piece. I call this piece "Strangulation" because the way the latex space mimics the natural space is a way of talking about the synthetic world in which we live, a world in which we create synthetic materials which destroy the natural, so the more we produce, the more we must mimic with our synthetic materials the nature which is lost.

Strangulation
Ashley Main
dimensions variable
latex paint, spray paint, ink, wood and rope

No comments: