Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Something from in a Dream



Sean Doll
Something from in a Dream, 2007
Hand stitched text on fabric
8' x 5'

Something from in a Dream is a self portrait as seen from various views. One side of the portrait is made up of my dreams. The other side is the back side of this stitched text. The piece is seen here in as an installation as well as in a group show.

The front, exterior side of the portrait is the back of the text. Both sides form my image, but this side is less personal. Another person can see my face but will never begin to know the experiences I have had an individual. Even those I have more personal relationships with can never fully experience what it is to be me. The back, interior of the portrait is the side with legible text. These stories are my experiences. These are my hopes and dreams which only I can truly relate to. My internal dreams compared to what others view of me is what my dual view self portrait portrays.

No comments: