Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's Nature to Industry

Sean Doll
It's Nature to Industry, 2008
tree, metal, dirt
3' x 3' x 3'

It's Nature to Industry is from my struggle of moving from the country to the city. Coming from a more rural background, living in a more populated urban area is very different for me. Even as an artist, I find myself drawn to using natural materials in my work. I can relate to these materials more and have much more to say about these materials.

This piece is about our nature being industrialized. Almost as a self portrait, it shows this transformation from nature to the man-made. The bark was chiseled away from the found stump in order to show the tree's underlying identity. This nature is then reinforced and used in the building of the man-made world. Through the use of nature, a very unnatural world is eventually created.

No comments: