Saturday, October 7, 2017

Caity Serva


Caity Serva
Resin cast, painted canvas
2" x 10" x 20"
This a work in progress shot of a much larger sculpture that I will be working on throughout the semester. In this piece, I hope to address issues of animal laboratory testing. We owe much of what modern science knows to the suffering of the lab mouse and I hope in some way to bring to light the magnitude of the sacrifice these animals have made for us. I have chosen to include the mice who have imperfections, such as air bubbles or missing ears and feet, from the mold-making process as a non-gruesome way to illustrate what mice may have to endure.  


For this critique, I presented the mice on a canvas with a dark blue fluid painting. I hoped to echo the fluid motion of the mouse tails and to give a primordial feel to the piece. Although I do not think this was the most successful way to present the piece, I have chosen to post pictures from this original set-up so that I can look back at the evolution that this sculpture will undergo throughout this semester. 


No comments: