Monday, October 17, 2016

KATIE CHAVATEL








Katie Chavatel 
Habit Forming, 2016
Wood, wood stain, spray paint
24" x 36" x 2"


Habit Forming is an exploration of my anxieties and compulsions. Through my repetitive creation process, I was able to detach from the outside world and really connect with myself. I am obsessed with detail and repetition and am comforted by an excess of it. Through process, I seemed to develop this connection to the medium itself. The raw material of wood reminds me of my dad, who’s a builder, always smelling of wood and paint. It makes me think of home. These colors remind me of my beach house, where I feel the most content, life there is simple. When I look at my piece, I see sets of waves rolling into the shore. I decided to keep this piece so simple and refined because I wanted my viewers to feel at ease, almost as if they were staring into the sea.

No comments: