Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Becca Guzzo




Becca Guzzo
Gravity
3/8/16
Steel, Granite, Marble
30" x 16" x 12"
As this project developed I aimed to convey the idea of a very heavy object having the illusion of defying gravity. The concept of finding balance emerged as I welded the heavy pipes together and posed the question to myself, how can I get them to stand on their own? As the process went on I began to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, which ultimately led to my further conceptualization of the work. I started to ask myself, why am I even making this in the first place? With my college work, an internship and pressing thoughts of the future after school I've had a lot of trouble recently finding balance and stability in my life because everything seems to be changing so overwhelmingly rapidly. At the end of the day I've come to realize that failure is inevitable in order to succeed and no matter what happens I have an amazing support system to help me find stability. This piece was made to represent being able to find my balance; the stacked heavy pipe for my weighing(and at times crippling) thoughts and the hard granite base for the friends and family that support me no matter what, always help put my mind at ease and keep me grounded when I need to find my balance.

No comments: