Monday, March 14, 2016

Rebecca Heringer



"Mkufu Nzuri" Swahili for beautiful necklace
Steel, Glass Beads, and washers 
36"x47"X7"

I recently traveled to the Massai Village in Tanzania on a MEDLIFE trip. I was deeply inspired by the vibrant culture and personalities I encountered. Being immersed into a very different, yet beautiful culture was eye opening. Each of the necklaces worn by the Masai women represent their lifestyle. Each color symbolizes a different aspect of their lives. I found a way to balance my culture and their culture by differentiating by the material I used. Steel is a heavy material, which serves as a counterpart to how the more jewelry and weight on the shoulders the Masai people wore, the greater pride and warrior-like theIr status is perceived.  I created my own necklace to show my appreciation of their culture. I used pattern and color to demonstrate a sense of their customs. My necklace was made at a such an exaggerated scale to display their large and vibrant lifestyle to the viewer. 

No comments: