Thursday, April 23, 2015

Emily DiMaio


Emily DiMaio
The Lamby Laugh
2015
Screws, Wood

I recently experienced the need to return back to the very basics in my artistic process.  In doing this, I am reminded of my childhood with my father.  I have watched him build things by hand throughout my life and at an early age I wanted to help.  He taught me how to use a miniature tool set as I worked alongside him in the garage.  One of the things he built for my family was a swing set with which I associate many of my childhood memories and stories. 

In an ongoing effort to investigate art as a language, I became interested in portraying sound in a visual manner.  The surface built with screws mimics my interpretation of the frequency image that accompanied a found audio recording of a child laughing.

This piece alludes to the presence of a happy child that is no longer physically there.

No comments: