Thursday, March 19, 2015

Jill Jacobs




Jill Jacobs
Interconnected Vessel
2015
Steel
18" x 28" x 28"

I create and utilize steel vessels to express the concept that drives all of my art forms: Interconnectedness. The vessels represent the individual, made up of the same materials, but through unique constructions and beautiful flaws, they each develop their own character. Like the human form, vessels are intended to be filled, having the potential to hold, or create, anything. As I connect the vessels into a united form, they become the individuals that cohere to one another to establish a society as a whole. They lose a portion of their individuality to serve the greater good and take on a larger meaning. 
Yet I believe Friedrich Nietzsche said it best when he declared:
"I walk among human beings as among the fragments of the future; that future I see. 
And all my creating and striving amounts to this, that I create and piece together into one, what is now fragment." 

No comments: