Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Jill Jacobs





Paper Clip Totem
2014
Paper Clips
12" x 10" x 34"

The restricted length of the paper clips guided my design and line work, while my use of color pushed me out of my comfort zone entering a whimsical, nostalgic setting. My medium of paper clips and use of primary colors make it difficult to steer away from an elementary context, yet my intricacy of design, the height of the piece as well as only small reminders of my medium’s initial form, worked to pull the piece into more of a platform for visual storytelling as the structure rises. While my choice of medium was inspired by the restricted length and color, the consecutive growth upwards with lateral accents stemmed from my interest in the changing directionality of a compass and the storytelling, vertical build of a totem pole. 

No comments: