Monday, March 17, 2014

Jill Jacobs



Fantastical Ostrich
2014
Steel, Wire
5' 8" x 3' 9" x 2' 5"


My inspiration largely stems from the medium I decide to convey my ideas in. When conceptualizing for this first project I undoubtedly wanted to further explore the properties and possibilities of steel and wire. I also wished to create something that ultimately would be displayed outside. My love for nature and intricacies of design took the form of my “Fantastical Ostrich.” As far as this piece functioning within my progression as an experimental art student, I was satisfied in my success of creating something that was somewhat representational whilst still incorporating the abstract designs that always finds their way into my work. An additional feat reached through this sculpture was due to its size. This is the largest piece of art I have yet to create, which taught me the benefits as well as the difficulties of working at this scale.

No comments: