Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cristian Vitale

 

 Comfort and Balance

Wood, steal, human dreadlocks.
33''x15''x20''
2014

While exploring the idea of meditation, I looked into the ways in which humans seek out this practice. Often times through manipulation of materials, as in the practice of bonsai making where   we are able to ease our mind and reach new answers. Seemingly, I think of dreadlocks as a powerful form of mediation and expression, where the person tends and cares for their locks growing from their head manipulating them self and not something else. The dreadlocks to me also collect the energy given to them through their making. I personally do not grow dreadlocks, but through making this piece I was able to practice a form of meditation where I imbed my energy into the object. Creating a sacred object that reminds us of religious relics.

No comments: