Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Process of Progress Leads to a Stalemate


The greatest discoveries are usually the simplest ideas. Using a semi-hydroponics method, I germinated and eventually grew grass on shaped sponges. The three legged bases are carved from wood. Upon damaged LCD screen (that have been removed from their cases) I used Vacuum-Formed plastic that I continued to manipulate with a heat gun. The plastic was used for both a visual aid (giving a petal like appearance) as well as a functional form to provide protection to the electronics from water. I also used rope to allow water to flow into the sponges, in addition they were to compliment and play off the electrical cords attached to the monitor.

This piece I was mainly attempting to tell a story, similar to the way a painter would tell a story. I provided characters and a setting as well as visual imagery to suggest the idea I was wanted to portray. I wanted to lead the viewer into the idea of how, with all of our progression and advancements in technology that benefit our lives, we have been causing harm to our environment which is beginning to effect and degrade our lives. The result here is that while the light from the LCD monitor provides energy to the grass it requires energy to operate, hence perpetuating the problem leading to the stalemate.


The Process of Progress Leads to a Stalemate
October 2007
LDC screens, Wood, Sponge, Grass, Vacuum-formed Plastic

No comments: