Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Derek Charleton - Robed Figure






Derek Charleton

Robed Figure

2021

Steel and Fabric

1 1/2' x 6 3/4' x 3'

    One of the four figures I did. Originally going to be a Beelzebub interpretation I wanted to do, but I decided to leave more recognizable elements of the figure to be unrecognizable and unknown. I think that was the best direction I could take for this piece, and in contrast to the other characters seem almost odd and out of place. I want the figure to almost interrupt the space, and instilling a sense of discomfort in the space. The idea of fear being driven from the unknown is an element I wanted to drive with this shadowy figure that stands in the corner. Additionally, with the use of a soundtrack that plays from the figure, gives it the idea that it is almost whispering or chanting to the viewers and trying to draw them closer to it to listen. This would be just another way I could create a very uncomfortable and disturbing space for the viewers.

    Alongside with the idea of fear from the darkness and the unknown as the driving factor for the figures design, there are other smaller elements that define the shape and design. The shape and use of cloth to robe the figure with is actually derives from my fears and thoughts of the KKK being evil and somewhat demonic. The use of black cloth to play with the shape of the clothing is to hopefully show the connection of the idea of evil and demonic worship to groups like the KKK. Personally, I have always thought of groups that perform and worship evil to those of evil like the KKK to demonic worship and satanic priests that would sacrifice souls to bring about more evil in the world. This sculpture is an extension of that idea and those feelings.

No comments: