Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Chris Stachowski










Suggestion of a Shelter
2017
Wood, Chain, Frustration
14' x 12' x 7'

 From the start I knew I wanted to explore the ideas of depth and dimensionality using a minimalistic approach. While arranging individual pieces, I came to the final decision to create a house form. Material wise, I went with the choice of found wood to create a sense of lightness and warmth for viewers entering the space, as opposed to the heavy coldness given off by steel and other metals. To further the sense of warmth, I also chose to paint the inner side of the structure with an intense red to contrast the dull, gray found on the outer sides of the structure. Furthermore, I aimed to create a sense of structural security by suspending individual pieces by chain. Lastly, I made a last minute decision to include a live plant in the center of the space to create a sense of life amongst the otherwise lifeless space. 


No comments: