Monday, March 13, 2017

Brenna Smith








Brenna Smith

Varied Reactions to Neutral Gestures of Hair Pulling

2016

Acrylic Paint, Tape, and Twine on Wall

60"x45"x84"

This piece started off with an immediate idea of what I wanted to do, which was to paint a figure on the wall using stencils cut from illustration board. I then decided that I wanted to add some form of dimension to the piece, as a piece that is more dynamic and less static is often better at generating interest (in my experience). I chose the most generalized color palette I could think of for the figure, which was based on heat signatures (something that all living things have). This was because I wanted to leave the overall message up to the interpretations of the audience instead of assigning the piece one isolated meaning, which meant keeping the figure ambiguous enough that a viewer could step into its shoes.

No comments: