Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Emily DiMaio



Hand Over Hand
2015
Acrylic, oxygen tubing, framed inkjet prints
10' x 20' x 2'

An installation displaying selected products of a performative painting series.  In an effort to put my self in the position of a disabled body, I allowed pairs of people to bind my limbs with fifty feet of oxygen tubing in ways that limited my mobility.  The participants were then asked to paint with my hands using the hand over hand technique without any further instruction.  Unique marks were created based on how my body was bound.  I am interested in how personalities, participant left/right handedness, relationships and drawing styles (abstract versus figurative) play a role in each final drawing.

For the large painting in this installation, I faced away from the wall with my arms tied tightly behind me and the tube wrapped around my neck.  As one arm moved higher or lower than the other, the tubing around my neck made breathing less comfortable, but not fully restricted.

No comments: