Monday, November 24, 2014

Brittany Katz





Brittany Katz
Technomythology
2014
Wood, acrylic, wire, LED lights, linen canvas, toy car motor
12"x 12"x 4"
I decided to do this project because I was interested in how different cultures would interpret each other's mythological characters. For this project I chose how the Aztec would interpret the Japanese Kitsune or fox spirit. Kitsune are magical foxes that wield fire and can change shape at will and are frequent characters in Japanese mythology. However, I did not want to stop there. I also wanted to comment on how modern technology effects these myths so I decided to create a modern day Aztec interpretation where the figure is back lit and the ring is motorized. This is a commentary on how modern day technology has largely robbed ancient mythology of almost all the power and influence it once had.
 











Brittany Katz
Bones
2014
sheet metal, metal rods, chain, sweat, and tears
26"x 7"x 23"

I wanted to explore the concept of interpreting a biological subject in man-made material. I personally enjoy bringing fictional creations into reality and wanted to use this particular subject to illustrate mans penchant for for interfering with and recreating nature. The result is often beautiful and effective but somehow incomplete Which is what I wanted to illustrate with the bare and simple form of the animal.

No comments: