Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sarah Langsam

                    


Reversed Destruction
Tree roots, tree branches, steel
36" x 96" x 60"
2013

My ongoing interest in nature and the world that surrounds us is forever evolving. I constantly find new inspiration in the discovery of intricate details in the environment that most people often pass by or take for granted. The similarities, differences, and relationships that man shares with nature intrigues me. I create art by dissecting natural elements and putting them back together in ways that challenge how the viewer expects to see them.

This piece explores questions of life in both living and deceased states. My connection to this piece is especially strong because I am utilizing debris collected after Hurricane Sandy hit my hometown in northern New Jersey. The opportunity to work with a piece of nature that I have had personal relationship to all my life was extremely exciting. This structure puts a positive spin on an event that affected so many people negatively.

No comments: