Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Discovery of Land



Discovery of Land
2' x 6" x 4'

This piece is the result of several experimental pieces of plywood. I glued six individual planks of plywood together to have the thickness needed to create the depth I wanted with a grinder. After cutting the corners off of the combined boards, I used a grinder to aggressively sand away at the piece. I then used finer and finer grains of sanding paper.

 I have always been attracted to the distinctive grains of different species of wood. Wood grain can appear as a painted work of art all on it’s own. Through my pieces I reveal what is already there, hidden in nature. I sand away different shapes, angles and depths of the wood grain in order to create an abstract painting. Over time I discovered that my wooden paintings could resemble three-dimensional topographical maps of landscapes. 


No comments: