Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kevin Bielicki



Kevin Bielicki
2011
wood and fiberglass
78" x 52" x 54"


In this work I used as a cross cut of a tree. I expanded upon the idea of the rings of the tree that represent the trees History. I brought the History of the tree into space by cutting out the tree rings and restacking them to create a solide volume. I used fiberglass mat and resin to reinforce the inner walls of the tree. The glass fibers took on the feel of wood fibers. The fibers locked the rings in place as well as expands upon the concept as the rings being stretched and pulled apart in space. The resin created a sap color that contrasts the outside. The outside also contrasted the interior with the saw marks and glue left from my process off cutting and rejoining the wood. The Exterior that can be read from the small ring to the large is a look into my process of creating this work. In reverse looking at the sculpture from the interior(above image) reflects my carving of the HIstory of the tree going from large to small to get to the oringial ring of the tree.




No comments: