Wednesday, May 18, 2011



Manger
Artificial Hair on Wooden Frame

I based this project off of one I had previously did this semester. I explored a lot with hair this semester and discovered different techniques and observed closely how people treat their hair. The manger is very symbolic and important in Christianity. This piece isn't meant to be viewed as religious, but the idea of the manger really intrigued me. A manger is meant to hold or cradle something or someone. The manger I created is on the wall, above the ground and is triangular in shape. There is also no body occupying the interior space. It is up to the viewer to decide who resides in this manger. I thought using hair for this nest would be interesting because mangers are usually made out of hay and straw, which is a typical resting place for animals. Making a bed out of hair gives it an eerie quality. Making a bed of human hair, skin, nails, and blood would be pretty cool now that I think of it.

No comments: