Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Andrew Vavala

Andrew Vavala
Zoombinis
2011
Wire, Pantyhose, Painted Plastic
2' x 6'' x 6''
The inspiration for this piece came from the ceiling, and coulombs of Gaudi’s cathedral in Barcelona, the Sagrada Familia. The way the coulombs branched out like tree branches was interesting to me. When looking up at the ceiling in the cathedral you are overwhelmed by light pouring in from the stain glass windows, lighting up all of coulombs. I wanted to recreate the structure of the coulombs, while at the same time give the feeling that they are glowing. As I built each coulomb out of wire and then stretched fabric over them the project began to change. I put so much effort into creating each frame that they began to take on personalities. I wanted to put the coulombs together in a group while still allowing each one to be different like individual creatures. Light from the ceiling is directed through blue plastic discs causing each structure to glow.

No comments: