Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kyle Hackett



10 in x 10 in
Oil on wood panel, digital print with chain
Plexiglass, plastic framework
kylehackettstudio.com

Motivated to explore issues of personal identity, I consider human skin a unique specimen that has the ability to both conceal and reveal. Ambitious to hide objects, actions and interactions, the process in creating this piece becomes a precious history. The hidden history beneath the surface skin can only be revealed if the entire piece is destroyed. As reflections and surface patterns distort the inner layer, one can only speculate the interactions and history beneath the surface. Furthermore, a history of touch also plays an important factor in the work. The skin print sample (seen on the right) represents the artists signature and is the only object to come directly from my physical skin. I began by using oil paint to cover my hand until I matched my skin tone and ultimately created a small mono print from the paint on my skin. These mono prints became the reference imagery for my sculptural painting.

No comments: