Tuesday, April 13, 2010

P. Scarpone

My ideas stem from the calming capability of a simplistic object or experience. The translation of this ideal is made through limited variables with an intention to create harmonious relations. The use of natural materials in my work, soil and branches, represent the human. Commercial materials are utilized to relate to our human presence. Recently, my interest has primarily revolved around tension, both physically and mentally. Tension in my sculpture is used to initiate a pause or slow the viewer down. My primary aim with the work is to create space for the mind to breath, to spark a possible link to a previous experience, to allow mental wonder, just as subtle moments have allowed me.
"The Last Breath" Branch, Cedar, Concrete, and Soil 5 ' x 4' x ' 6
"Fostering the Inevitable" Branch, and Soil 2' x 4' x 2' "Counterpoise" Branches, Soil, and Cedar 11' x 5' x 1'

No comments: