Monday, December 10, 2007

Meet with Perpetual Gaze

It is a physical interaction that I am asking for with this piece. I am attempting to present a sense of emptiness in the ceramic forms at first glance. Secondly, I tried to derive an action - namely a ritual - with the unlit incense and matches.
 The materials I chose to construct the space alluded to ancient tribal tradition, as in the twine, as well as modern industry, as in the pipe; a presentation of how I have been trying to presently identify myself. I left it up to the viewer to decide whether or not they would take part in my "ritual", but for those who did, I presented the alternate view of the empty ceramic forms of faces made with colorful clays and glazes that would only be seen from the kneeling, squatting, or crouching position. For the duration of this two-day installation, 112 incense sticks were lit by viewers.


Meet with Perpetual Gaze, 2007
Jeremy Tan
porcelain, raku, stoneware, steel, twine, fabric, wood, sand, incense
7' X 12' X 13'

No comments: