Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Observer

As part of the Undergraduate Summer Research program offered here at the University of Delaware I was one of about 70 individuals in Arts and Humanities that participated in a summer long program designed to give undergraduates the opportunity to gain experience in ones specified field. Since I am a Sculpture major I was allowed to dedicate about 2 and 1/2 months to once specific piece of art, more than twice the amount of time I usually have to complete a piece. I decided to take on a bigger, more complex idea than ever before.

For this piece, I wanted to express the idea of the human as the observer. Wood and steel were used to create a functional bipedaled structure to act as the physical form. The inclusion of the computer and webcam are incorporated to represent the process of observation. Through my art I am attempting to translate what I observe into a physical representation of my personal views. I wanted to create a piece that actually observes and shares its experience with the viewer to others. It is my hope that I can create a unique experience for the viewer to observe as well as become a part of the observation.

Observe what The Observer is Observing: http://observer.chuckmahley.com/

Additional work available at:
http://copland.udel.edu/~kalron/

No comments: