Friday, December 14, 2018

Cynthia Yoo







"Terebi"
2018
3 ft x 3.5 ft x 2 ft

This video installation consists of small tube TCs, VCRs, and VHS tapes from when our store recorded and distributed korean dramas (like a small Korea blockbuster!). Each TV plays a unique element of my family and our small Korean grocery store. When I look back to my childhood, I see the bright and warm colors of the neatly stacked and brightly packaged products. I see my mom's bright smile and hear her excitedly welcome each customer as they walk in the store, as if they're part of our family. I smell the vegetables cooking int he morning, and see the afternoon lull transition into quickly queued transactions. 

My hardworking parents, the bright environment and warm atmosphere are the reasons I cherish this store.


No comments: