Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Ulyana Gore




 Ulyana Gore

"Serene Dragons"

2021

Ceramic, plants

18"x12"x20"

    These two dragon planters were inspired by my two dogs, Simon and Ricky. Similar to my last project, I wanted to create a sculptural piece that could go in my garden but also be functional. I also wanted to push what I could do with clay because I am used to primarily making small cups and bowls so I went with something larger scale and I would like to go even bigger in the future. For the larger dragon I started by making a form out of crumpled up newspaper, then covering it with slabs of clay and then building the facial features and other details on top of it. Having the paper form inside of it allowed me to conserve materials since I only needed a thin layer of clay on the outside. This also made it lightweight and easy to hollow out allowing for space to put the flowers.

No comments: