Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Audrey Hagstrom

 






 

Audrey Hagstrom

“Coalescence of Chaos”

2021

Pallets, acrylic paint

56”x 86” x 66”

 

My belief that there cannot be order without chaos, or chaos without order, inspired my piece. I used pallets because they inherently have both this disorder, in their respective size, patina and wood type, but also an order that can be found in the even spacing between each plank. All attached, the pallet’s exterior displays in an unorganized manner, where order has been dismantled. The negative space of the equilateral triangle continuously going through each pallet is what restores the order within the chaos. It’s a “view” into the coalescence of order imposed upon the chaos. The triangle also gives recognition to the idea that when chaos ensues around us, inner-balance is what must be present for us to re-stabilize. The triangle resonates in this capacity, for its long history of symbolism and roots in sacred geometry. The paint lining the edges of the triangle further reinforces the feel of order. While my initial idea began with thoughts of duality in order and chaos, I've realized that this piece was also, subconsciously, a reflection of my current headspace. One may notice that one set of pallets appears less chaotic and more grounded while the other set grows more chaotic. As a person who finds solace in being grounded, I’ve come to internalize this post-observation as a reflection of the internal conflicts and lack of grounding I’ve been feeling very heavily over this past year, a physical act of bringing order to the material world, where I lack it in my own.


No comments: