Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Derek Charleton - Demonic Figure








Derek Charleton

Demonic Figure

2021

Steel

1 1/2' x 3 3/4' x 2'

The Demonic Figure piece is one of two figures I was created when I was expanding upon a technique I tried with welding. Similar to the Follower of Leviathan piece, I wanted to further expand upon both the demons that I had been creating for a little bit as well as expanding upon the symbolism present in each one. The demon that I made here was to approach a couple of ideas I had in the back of my mind though. First of course was to further expand the ideas of what these demonic figures really could look like, and how I saw them as. The next was of course expanding the use of imagery and symbolism in each of the pieces I have been making. After that I wanted to play around with the base of the figure, how it stands up, and how it keeps its self upright. Another, and the last idea I wanted to play around with is the incorporation of the material I use into the figure. For example, after a long time of practicing with stick welding, I had a lot of left over welding rods that I wanted to see if I could incorporate into the next figure I would work on. The left over material would then end up becoming a part of the head for this figure

No comments: