Wednesday, December 15, 2021

John Kozacheson







John Kozacheson

Wild-Man

2021

Mixed Media construction, and video projection

 

Contemporary peoples across Europe create suits of natural materials that hide their identities. These suits refer to ancient times when fear of winter, fear of the unknown and fear of death were rampant. These suits varied drastically from area to area, some becoming huge fur covered statues, others adorned in bright colors and bird-like masks. The suits are used to bring back old traditions and ideas to the modern world. Traditions that used rituals and nature to promise plentiful harvests and healthy family members for the year to come. This semester I constructed my own suit, wondering if I could become a wild man, a creature of days past returning to bring hope or fear upon our modern world which is facing a climate crisis. Drawing from my family traditions, I become someone or something else by wearing the suit. I film myself performing in front of a wall-sized projection surrounded by my peers. Questions arise: is the suit a sign of vulnerability? Should the audience feel empathy for this creature?, or is the suit in control of what the audience is seeing? Is the creature separate or a part of the audience that stands with it? Does the chaos originate from the suit? I want to continue to push the boundaries and create my own mythology involving technology, spirituality, and the human body. How do these relate and what makes a compelling experience for my audience? How do I become a “Wild Man'' and what does it want from me? 

 





 

No comments: