Thursday, October 3, 2019

John Halligan












Standards of Society
2019
8'3" x 2' x 2'
Steel, Chestnut


At an early age, every generation has had standards burned into their brains for everything. From mannerisms to physical appearance, just about anything that could be thought of. Ads constantly telling people what's cool to do, what to wear to be noticed. Body image is so shoved down the throats of people that their are mannequins with the "perfect" physique. Real life models aren't even good enough, their bodies get distorted just to fit this unrealistic standard. For most of my life I have been unsatisfied with the appearance of my body. My body has fluctuated so much in the last 10 years because I was always trying to fulfill some form imagined in my brain. I've gone from being fat, to too skinny, to muscular and somewhere in between throughout college. The worst part is I can look in the mirror multiple times a day and it'll drive me insane how much my perception varies. For about the last two years i've really pushed myself to be ok with my body for just how it is. I stopped lifting because I wasn't trying to better my health, I was trying to adapt my appearance for approval. The hardest part is that as a male it seems like its not talked about enough in the male community. It's a sign of weakness caring about something like that to most guys. Im tired of having to live up to this jock, I don't give a fuck persona thats been set for me. Anyone should be allowed to feel or look any way they want, regardless of gender. Everyone has feelings no matter how much they say they may not care or seem unfazed. Its time people realize that and take it into consideration before making "harmless jokes."



No comments: