Monday, October 14, 2019

Esther Lee













The Bridge In Between
2019
Chopsticks, Wood, Twine, Foam,Cement, Rocks, Moss, Hay
2'10.5"x3'3"x3'17"




For this project, I got my inspirations from Korean tradition and the Nepali life style. I started with the inspiration of Korean traditional homes, so I wanted to create a scene using chopsticks. However, my biggest inspiration for creating these islands and ladders came from my trek in the Himalayas. The homes on the mountains had multiple levels, where you have to go up and down ladders outside to reach each section of the home. So, I was able to add that aspect to my project by creating an island for the outhouse and the stable, with only a ladder connecting them. The key point of my sculpture is the suspension bridge. I created it with a forced perspective in mind, to give off the illusion of walking into the scene. I wanted people to be drawn into my piece, so I created a way they can interact with my piece through the use of the bridge. 

No comments: