Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Nathan Robinson





title
date
size
material

For my first sculpture project, I was very interested in military structures, such as the B-29 that was produced by an unskilled & under-informed public. I wanted to channel the US military's strategy of co-opting public labor, but apply a youthful, playful spin. The end result is a large tube that works as a periscope, with haphazard aluminum plates riveted to the surface. The object acts as a totem of sorts, & I purposefully wanted the dark intention & inspiration to be masked from most people interacting with it. The biggest part of the process for me was the usage of rivets, which became a kind of catharsis as I reflected on a working class that had no idea what they were doing while they were doing it. 

No comments: