Tuesday, November 5, 2019

John Halligan



Entrapped
2019
Birch Plywood, Poplar, Paint, Sealer
26" x 19" x 5"


For most of my life I would consider myself a shy person at first when meeting people. I was that tall quiet kid that when someone heard my voice they always seemed to make it a big deal. I remember little me though, innocent to life being fearless and quite the socialite. All it took was a couple of kids to laugh at me for stuff out of my control that would change everything for most of my young years. Afraid to be embarrassed and humiliated for literally anything, I would just sit back and observe life more often than not. Interesting to know once you've been deemed the anti social kid, how hard it is to break that stigma. People would either find it so abnormal or have to make it such a big deal if I ever tried to be more social. Which for a shy person was only that more anxiety inducing being put on the spot. After years of really stepping out of my comfort zone I would say I gained the confidence to be an outgoing person. The problem though, going most of my life in isolated thought and decompressing my feelings internally, I didn't know in the slightest how to cope emotionally. Growing up in overly masculine surroundings, it's easy to say talking about feelings was scrutinized and made you look inferior. The last thing I wanted was to be laughed at more for showing emotion. Which then made my emotions a ticking time bomb. Living most of my life having this feeling of entrapment is something I want to break through, I want it to be ok for anyone to discuss their emotions and never feel inferior for any feelings they are having. Being able to be vulnerable in front of others is a bigger sign of toughness than never shedding a single tear.
















No comments: