Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Esther Lee











Streams of Living Water
2019
Thread, Yarn, Wood, Canvas
40"wx64d"68"h



For this sculpture, I wanted to try using a medium I never used before, so I thought of embroidery.  I've never embroidered before so I challenged myself to create it into more of a sculpture. For the actual composition, I decided to recreate a scene from my trek in Nepal as my inspiration. I wanted to be able to create something very detailed and interesting, yet more personalized, so I added aspects like the wooden house and deer. Because I'm not a professional embroiderer, I used techniques that are more "improper" to create an interesting composition, like the mountains in the background. And like my last project, I wanted my piece to come out into the space and let my it become more interactive, so I used the yarn to give it the effect of a waterfall flowing out and onto the floor. It took a lot of time to make this piece, but it was definitely worth it.



No comments: