Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Grace Schacterle

 






Grace Schacterle
Chronically Ill
2021
Plaster, Chicken wire,  Canvas, Glitter paint
13 x 8 x 5.5 in

Chronically Ill is a piece that exhibits how it feels to have a chronic illness (or several). I suffer from multiple chronic illnesses, and I wanted to create something that makes people like me feel seen, as well as something that helps others to understand our experiences better. I wanted to create a head to show how physical illness can really affect someone mentally. I decided to use canvas and plaster in a style similar to paper mache to represent feeling like you are falling apart from the inside out. And I have the chicken wire showing through in some areas  to show that inside a hard exterior there is a structure that is not as strong. This represents how while chronically ill people may seem strong for all that they go through, that is not necessarily how we feel on the inside. Lastly, I added gold glitter paint as if it were dripping down like pixie dust. I included this because when you are chronically ill, sometimes it feels like the only thing that can help you is pixie dust. 

 

No comments: