Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mathea Madsen









Mathea Madsen
Monument
2020
Cyanotype treated fabric, plants, water, sun, sweat, wind
82.5" x 47"

Life during the pandemic contains a constant drone of news stories, facts, numbers, and fears. We live with the reminder that we are undeniably mortal, as more statistics and stories pour in around us. "Monument" is about the fragility of our existence; one day we are here and the next we belong to the earth again. It is easy to feel that we have slipped through the cracks in this time, as isolation and panic set in. We are not numbers, we are all individuals, and we all leave our mark on the planet. The process of this piece deeply informed the meaning, as I am the image presented. Taking 15 minutes to lie still as the sun bore down on me, I was forced to think about my own impact, as I created something physical. The memories others have of us are all that remain. In the end, we all return to the same place. 

No comments: